Saturday, July 17, 2010

Flash Fiction Film

I'm fascinated with flash fiction translated into film. Nine of Raymond Carver's stories were turned into one feature-length film with Robert Alman's Short Cuts and many of us are familiar with that film. Now I'm making new discoveries as I find flash fiction turned into short-short film on the 'net.

See Yasunari Kawabata’s “Love Suicides” --an outstanding flash fiction piece which can be read here: http://translation.rassaku.net/kawabata_lovesuicides.htm

And here’s the powerful film version: http://www.fluxusonline.com/2010/film.php?cod=14

Then there's Fernando Sorrentino's “There's a Man in the Habit of Hitting Me on the Head with an Umbrella" (a story I'm very impressed with) which can be read at: http://www.badosa.com/bin/obra.pl?id=n084-en

And here’s the film version (my favorite from among the several versions I found) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftjbyTk-OU

I'll be posting more as I run across them. (I have info on others but don't have the details close by so I'll save that info for another post.) And if you know of flash fiction turned into film. I'd love to hear about it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Franklin Beaumont said...

Hi, Pamelyn. What an interesting subject.

I've long been a fan of Yasunari Kawabata, and was especially fascinated by the short film based on his "Love Suicides". It captured the same sense of stillness and desolation that I felt from the story. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I've recently become very taken with flash fiction as a form. You can see my short fiction here: Franklin's Flash Fiction

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Pamelyn Casto said...

Nice to meet you, Franklin. Yes, Yasunari Kawabata is quite an impressive writer. But he requires work to understand some of his stories-- which is fine with me since I really appreciate the types of flash fiction that require work on the part of the reader. Glad to learn about your 'net site and your writings. I'll be checking back to see what's new

 

Post a Comment

<< Home